Scripture: Am 7:12-17 Eph 1:3-14 Mk 6:7-13
The Mass – Dismissals Our Choices
- Go in peace, glorifying the Lord by your life.
- Go forth, the Mass is ended or Go in peace.
- Go and announce the Gospel of the Lord.
- Latin Mass- Ite Missa est or Go – meaning the assembly is dismissed
- Our word Mass is related to dismiss or mission
Do You Get The Idea?
- The Lord called Amos, a tree trimmer to proclaim the justice of the Lord-he resisted
- The Lord calls us to be bearer of the Good News – We have a God given mission
- Jesus sent the disciples out two by two to bring Jesus’ hope and healing to every heart
- The Lord sends us out to every heart – those who are feeling lost and unloved
- We have a mission
Suggests that if we don’t carry out the mission given to each of us by Jesus himself, we
are not really Christians
Jesus’ Instruction Primer
- How missionaries conduct themselves
- I would probably not take my backpack – so many pockets to put so many things
- Disciples did not take many things with them – they needed to be needy
- Their neediness would allow residents to practice hospitality
Catholic Church Leader – Fr. Auturo Sosa – Jesuit – Venezuala
- When elected Superior General when asked about the most dangerous idol of our time
said Self-sufficiency, the idea of doing and knowing by yourself and for yourself.
- Western society convinced it can accomplish fullness of humanity on its own – excluding
- Self sufficiency is a great danger – no need to learn and receive from others
- Leads to different disrespect cultures, people, creation
- Cuts off intercultural and interreligious dialogue
- An idol that isolates and paralyzes
Jesus Would Concur About Self-Sufficiency
- Jesus reminds us we are not self-sufficient
- We are needy – we need the Lord
- Lord needs to be in everything we do – We receive what we need from the Lord
- All we accomplish is the Lord’s doing
- No matter what we are doing – our hearts filled with Jesus – we can bring him to the world
- My life is not about me – but about the Lord
Fr. Michael Judges’ Prayer – First Person Pulled Out On 9 – 11
Lord. Take me where you want me to do, let me meet who you want me to meet; tell me
what you want me to say; and keep me out of Your way.
Our Lives Are About the Lord!
Go In Peace, Glorifying the Lord by Your Life!
Questions for Reflection
- What impacted you from the readings/homily?
- How do you understand self-sufficiency? What benefits have you experienced from not being self-sufficiency? How can it be empowering?
- How might Jesus be calling you to be needy to spread the Good News?
Pray Fr. Michael’s prayer before you begin each day. Take notice how it might influence
your interactions with people you meet during the week.