Pentecost-Sunday May 31, 2020
ACTS 2:1-11 | 1COR 12:3B-7, 12-13 | JN 20:19-23
When the time of Pentecost was fulfilled, they were all in one place together. And suddenly there came from the sky a noise like a strong driving wind, and it filled the entire house in which they were. Then there appeared to them as tongues of fire, which parted and came to rest on each of them. And they were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in different tongues, as the Spirit enabled them to proclaim.
Mending Wall by Robert Frost
- “Something there is that doesn’t love the wall and wants it down.”
The Holy Spirit and Walls
- There is something deep in the Holy Spirit that does not love a wall, that wants it down!
Jesus’ Closet Companions
- Were huddled behind walls
- Fear kept them locked away
- Perfect love cast out fears-the Holy Spirit
- They were impelled to go into the streets
Our Time of Quarantine
- Time to change up the scenery in our homes
- Do not stay in just one space
- Try to live a holy balanced life
- We do not want to be a self-referential – turn in on ourselves church
- We cannot be attached from the real world-from the real struggles of people
- We need to break down the walls that separates people from each other
- Exclusion-the work of the devil-Inclusion the work of the Holy Spirit
It’s Our Turn
- So much work to do in our time
- Stand-up for the Spirit of Jesus found in every human person
- Oppression has no place in our Church or nation
- George Floyd – His former boss testified: “George stood up for people, when they were down; he loved people that were thrown away.”
Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago-Pastor Otis Moss III
- Master Preacher
- Spoke about the death of Ahmaud Arbery in Georgia who was out jogging
- Intrinsic evil of racism
- Everyone invited to watch sermon on YouTube
- Sermon entitled The Cross and the Lynching Tree-A small portion…
This is the Message of Truth Entrusted to You and Me!
The Holy Spirit Desires That We Live is From A Very Deep Place!
Questions for Reflection
- What impacted you from today’s Readings and/or homily?
- What is your impression of Robert Frost’s Mending Wall?
- What issues in your life might keep you inside the walls?
- Consider a time when the Holy Spirit might have called you out from behind the walls to speak the truth in love.
- What does Pentecost look like to you as you consider the tragedy of George Floyd?
- Pray to the Holy Spirit to bring you out from behind any walls that are preventing you from God’s will
- Pray to the Holy Spirit to somehow use you as an instrument of love in this difficult time
- Be aware of the Holy Spirit’s response and act upon it