Fifth Sunday of Easter-Sunday May 10, 2020
ACTS 6:1-7 | 1PT 2:4-9 | JN 14:1-12
The Seven Martyrs in Tibhirine, Algeria, Africa (1996)
- Beatified for their Christian Faith and their love for their Moslem brothers and sister
- Story told in movie Of Gods and Men
Trappist Monk Brother Christian de Charge Last Will and Testament
- Some last words matter
- Brother Christian’s words matter
- A testament to inclusive love
Jesus Final Will and Testament is in John Chapters 14 -17
Scripture 1: Jesus said to his disciples: “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You have faith in God: have faith also in me.”
- What is faith but trusting Jesus, our faithful friend
Scripture 2: “I am the way and the truth and the life.”
- First Christians referred to themselves as People of the Way
- An important element of the truth is that every person is precious and matters
- We are not problems to be solved
- People are persons to be accompanied and treated with great dignity
Scripture 3: “Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me…whoever believe in me will do the works that I do, and will do greater ones than these, because I am going to the Father.”
- We should be blown away at Jesus promise that we will do greater works than he did
Questions for Reflection
- What impacted you from today’s Gospel and/or homily?
- Scripture 1: What is your trust level in the Lord?
- Scripture 2: How are you People of the Way of Jesus? Is Jesus truly your life or do you rely on other people/things to give meaning to your life? How do you proclaim with your life the truth of Jesus?
- Scripture 3: What are the works that you are doing foe the Lord in this time of anxiety and uncertainty? What works are you doing to keep our brothers and sisters safe during the pandemic?
- Consider a message for your last will and Testament. What would you want your words to be
- Reflect on the word inclusion. What does it mean to you
- Make a list of the works that you have done or are doing that model Jesus’ works