Second Sunday of Advent, December 8, 2019.
Click here if you missed the first message of this series.
IS 11:1-10 | ROM 15:4-9 | MT 3:1-2
- What would Isaiah’s peaceable kingdom look like in my world? What steps could I take this Advent to move toward this place in my life?
- As a person who has been Entrusted, what prejudices do I need to let go of to help bring about the peaceable kingdom described in Isaiah?
- How can I come to understand diversity as a promise instead of a threat?
- My reaction to the word “repentance” is? Can I recall a time when I repented?
Join the Conversation
You’re invited to discuss this message with a small group on Wednesday at 7pm at Lou’s Brew Cafe (233 E College Ave, Appleton, WI 54911). No need to RSVP or make it each week, just show up and look for discussion facilitators wearing St. Mary blue shirts. See you there!
Simply ways to keep the message alive during the week:
- Read the Scripture focus for this week again, ask God to open your eyes to a current prejudice in your life. Ask for forgiveness and a conversion of heart.
- Post notes of today’s Scripture in visible places as a reminder to be a person of acceptance and peace (in your car, on the TV during the news, while chatting with friends who might be gossiping).
- Learn something new about a culture you’re unfamiliar with (perhaps one that you see on the news) that you feel you may have prejudged.
- Be open to making sincere connections with people at work, in your neighborhood, or at church who have a different story or life experience. Listen carefully fort he promise they are to our world.
- Discuss this message further with fellow parishioners on Wednesday at 7pm at Lou’s Brew Cafe (233 E College Ave, Appleton, WI 54911)
- Attend Advent Reconciliation Service at St Mary this Thursday, December 12th at 6pm.
- Kingdom of God: A way of living together in peace, joy and forgiveness
- Entrusted: To be given responsibility for custody of i.e. we have been entrusted to bring Jesus to our world in our generation
- Repentance: Admitting my un-Christ-like behavior and plotting a course correction for my heart and life
- Scripture Focus:
- On that day, a shoot shall sprout from the stump of Jesse, and from his roots a bud shall blossom…Just shall be the band around this waist and faithfulness a belt upon his hips. The wolf shall be the guest of the lamb, and the leopard lie down with t the kid; the calf and the young lion shall browse together, with a little child to guide them…IS 11:5-8
- John the Baptist appeard, preaching in the desert of Judea and saying, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand!” MT 3:1-2
- Action/Life Change: To commit to finding new ways to live attentive and connected to Jesus in everyday life
Catch The Next Message on Saturday, December 14 at 4:30pm or Sunday, December 15 at 8am or 9:45am.
There’s Room In Our Inn For You At Our Christmas Mass Too:
December 24th at 4 pm, 6:30 pm & 10 pm
December 25th at 8:30 am